Foundation hopes organic community garden will raise funds and promote healthy living
CLERMONT, Fla. – The South Lake Hospital Foundation is seeking sponsors for its new community garden located on the south side of the hospital campus at 1900 Legends Way. Gardens will range from 4-foot squares to larger 15-foot by 20-foot plots. Participation is open to individuals, families, businesses, groups and classrooms. The sites will be ready for planting in late February and will include several raised beds for gardeners with mobility limitations.
Jeanne Martel, head of the hospital’s development office, said that sponsors can tend their own gardens or donate their plots to youth groups or other organizations. Produce grown at the organic gardens can be kept or shared with community food banks.
Foundation members anticipate that the new organic garden will promote healthy food choices, exercise, raise awareness of sustainable growing practices and provide connection between community gardeners and organizations that are meeting local food needs.
Sponsorships will allow gardeners to grow produce and herbs through three seasons. A variety of experts, including horticulturists, experienced gardeners, nutritionists and rehabilitation professionals, will be available to advise anyone needing assistance.
Sponsorships range from $300 for a 4-foot square garden to overall garden sponsorships of $5,000, which is exclusive by category of business and includes a 15-foot by 20-foot plot and several types of recognition.
To learn more about the South Lake Hospital Community Garden, or to become a sponsor, go to www.southlakehospital.com or contact Jeanne Martel at 352.394.4071, ext. 4405. About the South Lake Hospital Foundation. The South Lake Hospital Foundation is a nonprofit organization that supports a healthy South Lake Hospital and a healthy community.
South Lake Hospital Community Garden Fact Sheet
Sponsors can reserve immediately to begin gardening in late February at the community garden located on the south side of the hospital campus, 1900 Legends Way.
Sponsorships include the following:
Garden Sponsor: $5,000. 1 per business category
• Support facilities, equipment, supplies and educational programming. Permanent recognition. Exclusive by business category; includes garden plot if desired.
Plot Sponsor: $1,000. 10 available
• A 15-foot by 20-foot garden plot for use by a community organization. Annual recognition.
Square-Foot Garden Sponsor: $500. 8 available
• A 4-foot by 4-foot garden at ground level or elevated beds for use by community organization. Annual recognition.
Gardener: $500. 10 available
• Chance to create a 10-foot by 15-foot garden. Annual recognition.
Square-Foot Gardener: $300. 8 available.
• Opportunity to plant and grow a 4-foot-square garden. Annual recognition.
• The Foundation also seeks help with expertise as well as equipment, supplies, educational programming and volunteers.