Stroke Risk Score Card
Find out your stroke risk
Primary Stroke Centers
Strokes happen suddenly. It’s important to know the signs and call 911 if you suspect stroke. In Central Florida, Orlando Health stands ready to provide the stroke-specialized care you need.
Orlando Health South Lake Hospital is a designated Primary Stroke Center. The facility meets advanced certification standards through state and national healthcare-accreditation organizations.
Signs of Stroke:
Experts warn that “time is brain.” B.E.F.A.S.T. to prevent brain damage or death. B.E.F.A.S.T. is an easy way to remember the sudden signs of stroke.
- BALANCE: Sudden loss of balance or coordination.
- EYES: Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes.
- FACE: Ask the person to smile. Look to see if it’s uneven.
- ARM: Ask the person to raise both arms. See whether one arm is weak.
- SPEECH: Ask the person to speak. Listen for slurring or incorrect words.
- TIME: Call 911 at the first sign of stroke.
Designated for Better Stroke Care
Primary Stroke Center certification means a hospital meets strict standards associated with best practices and successful outcomes.
Primary Stroke Centers stabilize patients and give emergency treatments such as clot-busting therapy. Trusted national organizations such as the Joint Commission and the American Stroke Association (ASA) qualify certain hospitals to provide a more advanced level of care.
If patients have severe conditions or complications, doctors may transfer them to our designated Comprehensive Stroke Center at ORMC for specialized treatment.
High Stroke Care Standards
- Primary Stroke Centers meet or exceed advanced standards for stroke care.
- Certification standards require:
- A dedicated, stroke-focused program
- A designated stroke unit for continuous patient monitoring
- A consistent method of providing care
- Use of procedures based on current AHA/ASA guidelines
- Treatment tailored to each patient’s needs
- Use of data to continually improve the quality of stroke care
Added Stroke Expertise via Telemedicine
Orlando Health Orlando Regional Medical Center telemedicine service provides specialized stroke expertise to Orlando Health – South Lake Hospital. Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and Orlando Health also work seamlessly to engage skilled on-call specialists and rapid, lifesaving teamwork.
Strokes affect every part of your life, but you don’t have to go through it alone. Orlando Health stroke support groups offer professional guidance. Connect with other survivors and caregivers. Find encouragement, tips, referrals and more to adjust to life after stroke